How to Prepare for the IELTS Test
Tips on How to Prepare:
Before the test
1. Visit IELTS Essentials
- IELTS Information for Candidates booklet
- IELTS Application form
- Examiner approved IELTS tips
- What to expect on test day
- Download your pack at IELTSessentials.com/prepare
2. Take our IELTS Preparation Course
Our IELTS preparation course is designed to help you succeed in the IELTS test. Whether you need high band score or just a little help to understand the test format, we will help you achieve your goals. It should also be noted that all our IELTS preparation course instructors are IELTS experts.
More information and registration details can be found here
3. Attend an IELTS workshop in Manitoba
We hold IELTS workshops periodically throughout the year in Winnipeg and greater Manitoba. Facilitated by an experienced IELTS examiner, these interactive workshops will allow you to gain insights about:
- Understanding what examiners are looking for
- Getting practical tips on how to enhance your English skills
- Finding out the most common mistakes to avoid
- A detailed understanding of the assessment criteria
More information, available dates, and registration details can be found here.
4.Take an English Language Course in Winnipeg
At Heartland English School, English is what we do. We offer a variety of programs to help you improve your English including an IELTS preparation course.
For more information and registration details, please visit the Heartland English website here.
5. Attend a Masterclass
IDP Education offers free online masterclass webinars for candidates. These are useful whether you are new to IELTS or if you have sat the test before.
More information and registration details can be found here.
6. Use your English everyday
A proven way to improve your IELTS band score is to practice your English every day at home, at work, or at school. This includes speaking English with your friends, watching and listening to English language programmes, reading English publications and practicing your written skills wherever possible.
7. Know what to expect
To familiarize yourself with the types of tasks included in an IELTS test, you may wish to consider taking an IELTS preparation course. This will help you:
- Practice the type of task included in an IELTS test (e.g. Writing a short essay or letter for the Writing component.)
- Get feedback and learn from your answers to practice questions
- Become more confident in your test-taking skills
- Decide if you are ready
8. Understand the IELTS band scores
IELTS band scores are explained at IELTSessentials.com/results
9. Practice sample questions
You may wish to complete the IELTS test sample available at IELTSessentials.com/prepare
10. Official IELTS Practice Materials
(Two books available) can be purchased from our test centre or you can use the order form online at IELTSessentials.com/purchase
Prices and more information and be found here.
11. Rest and relax
Get plenty of rest the night before your test. Also ensure you are familiar with the venue’s location before test day do you can arrive in time.
During the test
1. Understand the task
Follow instructions carefully during the test. Remember that the Writing component of the test has specific word length requirements.
2. Allow enough time for each question
Some questions have suggested time limits for you to follow. Every test room will have a clock on the wall. Stay aware of the time during the test so that you can complete all the questions.
3. Stay calm enough to do your best
If you feel worried, take deep breaths to calm down. If you focus on the question and don’t rush your answers, you will be able to do your best.